Resources for clinicians and families
A program designed to help people with traumatic brain injury and their family members, friends or carers have better conversations together.
About the program
TBIconneCT was based on the original TBI Express program but reduced in length and designed for clinicians to use with individual families. The program:
- Consists of ten sessions that a person with TBI and one of their key communication partners is guided through by a speech pathologist.
- Has been tested for delivery both in-person and via videoconferencing.
- Involves setting goals for conversation, learning about good communication skills and practising skills together in real conversations.
Areas covered by the TBIconneCT program include:
- How TBI affects communication
- Roles in conversation
- Effective speaking and listening skills
- Working together well in conversations
- Keeping conversations going
- Asking positive questions.
A clinical trial investigating the effectiveness of TBIconneCT training was supported by a grant from icare NSW.
Resources for families
- Questions from families about the TBIconneCT program (pdf, 463KB): frequently asked questions from people with TBI and their families about participating in TBIconneCT training.
- YouTube: Introduction to TBIconneCT for families video.
- Conversation practice resources for families (pdf, 299KB): tips for practising conversations together, and a list of example conversation topics.
Resources for speech pathologists
- FAQs for speech pathologists about the TBIconneCT program (pdf, 983KB).
- YouTube: watch the Introduction to TBIconneCT video and watch the TBIconneCT clinician webinar for an introduction to the TBIconneCT clinician manual.
- Questionnaire (pdf, 328KB): to use with families to help you identify goals for conversation after TBI.
- YouTube: watch some examples of conversation which can be used for discussion with people with TBI and their families.
- Discussion guide (pdf, 406KB): to use alongside the videos.
Order the TBIconneCT clinician manual
You can purchase the TBIconneCT clinical manual via the ASSBI website.